Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Boys Consider East-Side Safety / Also: Another Replay Roundup!

In the wake of continuing neighborhood robberies, concerned East side citizens have convened an "emergency meeting" this weekend at the new East Side People's Market.

Kip: "If they are meeting to discuss the formation of a vigilante group, I'm in favor of this. But I suspect this is not the case."

Richard: "I don't think so. These are non-violent citizens. Their idea is that getting to know each other as a community should help stop local burglaries and such. It's a great idea...if the burglars happen to attend this meeting."

Kip: "Maybe they'll make everyone in the East Side wear a name tag. But if it were up to me, I'd vote for a vigilante group. It works wonders in Ft. Scott. When Old Man Peters got his lawnmower stolen, we tracked down the guy who did it and whipped his ass but good out back of Rusty's Bar. I truly don't think he'll be stealing another lawnmower, even IF he ever gets out of the hospital."

---

It's been awhile since we checked in on Richard's Replay antics. The holiday weekend found his favorite bar in top form, with a double-bill on Friday by local favorites Fourth of July, joined by Dri, who is soon to open for Modest Mouse and Conor Oberst in a series of shows (Kip says: "A local act is about to open for bands that I've actually heard of? Neat! But I still hate the Replay."). On Saturday, the bar hosted a reunion of Larryville's top local pop and punk acts of the 80's. Richard says, "I hope in twenty years I'll come back to town and debate the pros and cons of the bluegrass bands of my era. Of course, I do this now on a nightly basis, but in twenty years it might be even more important."

No comments: