Sunday, August 31, 2008

Chip's Musings on Music! (a new series!)

In this new feature, Chip offers tips on local shows to catch, thoughts on new albums, and analysis of current musical trends.

Chip: "Those looking for a follow-up event to last night's Nogglefest, which I always skip, might be wise to check out Ratatat at the Granada tonight. Lawrence.com says: "Ratatat is a primarily instrumental duo composed of laptop geeks...The group's three albums demonstrate an evolution of carefully selected bleeps and bloops." Now one thing a lot of people don't know about me is that I love this kind of little twinkly Casio music. The Postal Service, for instance, is awesome, yet Cl.thier refuses to bring in his little Casio and give me what I need! Adding a few bleeps and boops to a song says, 'I'm a sensitive songwriter who doesn't always need to rock out to assert my masculinity.' Look at these lyrics from The Postal Service's "Such Great Heights": "I am thinking it's a sign/ That the freckles in our eyes are mirror images/ And when we kiss they're perfectly aligned." That's poetry, friends. If I use that line at Quinton's, it might well earn me a blowjob."

Coming soon: Chip considers the N'Sync reunion album!

No comments: