Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Triumphant Return of the Boys' Country Corner! / Plus, the First Major Hedgehog News of 09!

The LC was rap-focused during the last part of 09, but the boys' recent travels through America's South and heartland helped them rediscover their passion for good ol' country music, and no song spoke to them more than Alan Jackson's "Country Boy." Let's take a look:

"I'm a country boy, I've got a 4 wheel drive
Pile in my bed, I can take ya for a ride
Up city streets, down country roads
I can get ya where you need to go
Cause I'm a country boy."


Richard: "I don't think I'm wrong in saying that the sexual imagery here rivals that of the best English poets. For instance, here's an oft-quoted line from Marvell's "To His Coy Mistress": "Let us roll all our strength, and all /Our sweetness, up into one ball;/And tear our pleasures with rough strife/Thorough the iron gates of life." It's unecessarily cluttered, don't you think? But Jackson's fusion of driving and sexual imagery culminates in a wonderful boast about his sexual prowess. When he insists that "I can get ya where you need to go" he's bragging not only about his driving skills, but about his ability to bring the woman to orgasm."

Chip: "He's certainly right that country boys are very skillful in the bedroom. I think it's because we grew up watching animals fuck."

---

Faithful readers will recall the LC's recent report on Judson King, the 11 year old whose half-hour presentation on domestic hedgehogs at a City Council meeting convinced the city fathers to rewrite their legislation on the matter. Young King is in the news again: after many years of studying pictures of hedgehogs, he finally received a real live 'hog for Christmas. The touching story was the lead-off piece in yesterday's 6 News at 6 (ahead of stories about various murder trials and a piece about an escaped convict) and you can watch the video for yourself here (please do):

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/jan/02/hedgie-victory-boy-helps-legalize-hedgehogs-lawren/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sexual imagery? To me it just sounds like Jackson is boasting about having the best on/off-road cab service this side of Kabul. A bit strange for the subject of a song, if you ask me.

tortess - which I believe is a female tortoise.

Anonymous said...

Nah, it's about sex (possibly sex WITH your truck).