Sunday, June 20, 2010

A Sunday Kickball Mystery! / Angry Lawrence.com Blogger of the Week

Today we must call on the help of our new readers from the kickball community to solve an important mystery! (IF we actually have new readers...so far, evidence is scarce).

Here's the deal: we occasionally like to check in with the "missed connections" section of Larryville's Craigslist, because we find it both terribly sad and strangely touching (and because we got the idea from Lawrence.com, which quickly abandoned it in favor of offering more links to hilarious cat-videos). And today we discovered this kickball-related Craigslist query (which does not specify if it is m4w or w4m or m4m or w4w):

"You played for the [Replay] rowdies yesterday and I couldn't stop looking at your giraffe tattoo. It's adorable. I wanted to tell you, but I got nervous.

Readers, if you know this giraffe-tattoed hipster, please write in and help this poor soul to possibly get laid.

http://lawrence.craigslist.org/mis/1791411989.html

And here's another kickball-related post from a smitten lady:

"I spotted you yesterday at game of the week and I can't take it anymore, I have to figure out who you are because you are perhaps the cutest boy I've ever seen. you have blondish brown hair, a septum ring, glasses and the cutest smile with a gap that drives me crazy!*swoon* I wanna kiss you every time I see you."

Chip: "I'm totally getting a septum ring!"

http://lawrence.craigslist.org/mis/1791930303.html

---

Now that the head honchos (or "homies") of Lawrence.com have been ousted by its owner, The World Company, contributors to the site are pulling out as well. Blogger "Godjilla" offers a final fuck-you to the new Lawrence.com in her current (and last) post. Here's an excerpt:

"Look, I understand the death of the Deadwood Edition. I didn't like it, but I understand it. What I don't understand, is this b.s. website. So glad to know that the city I formerly called home, the city I love still, has succumbed to the homogenization so prevalent in our GLOBAL FUCKING VILLAGE. Wherever you go, there you are. We're all uniquely the same. Well done.

And mad props on your ridiculous use of advertising space. I, for one, thoroughly enjoy annoying flash adverts and taking control away from the user. We can't be trusted to make good decisions anyway. The simple fact that as I type this, there's a cheap-ass Flash ad for The Oread (thanks for gentrifying my old neighborhood) only further aggravates me. What the hell is going on there, Lawrence?

To the staff remaining, it's not you. Or maybe it is, I don't know. We all gotta work, right? I don't know who the decider is over there any more and I don't really care.

Don't cry though, I do have a parting gift for you. Embedded in beautiful, hand-writable HTML and pulled from another site, with a little bit o' Flash, just like you like.



[here Godjilla links to an e-card that reads "I would like to cordially invite you all to suck it].

It was fun while it lasted."

Richard: "Fun final blog, Godjilla, but your posts were so infrequent it's not like anyone's going to miss you. Aside from one other recent entry, your last post was on August 29, 2009. I sometimes wonder if there's anyone in this town who writes a daily blog that considers local news and culture?

No comments: